Monday 4 April 2016

What I've Been Reading Recently #1


This year, I decided to take the Goodreads Reading challenge, and I have pledged to read 25 books by the end of the year. So far I have read 4, and we are a quarter of the way through the year which means I'm a bit behind my goal, but I don't want to push myself to read quicker just to reach a goal. I want to enjoy reading these books and not feel like it's a chore. I used to be an avid reader when I was in school, I read at the breakfast table, on my way to school, on the way home, and before I went to bed. I want to make reading something I love and enjoy again.


Dark Places - Gillian Flynn

By the author of Gone Girl, this book is as equally thrilling. It centers around Libby Day, the only survivor of her family's murder except her brother, who is convicted of the murder by her evidence. But when Libby is contacted by a group who is convinced of her brother's innocence, she begins to investigate what really happened that night and discovers things she never knew about her family.

I could not put this book down, as the end of every chapter leaves you wanting more, and I couldn't go to sleep without knowing what happened. There are some disturbing things in the book and Gillian Flynn describes everything in such detail, which is so chilling. I would definitely recommend this if you loved Gone Girl or any other thriller books.

All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr

Probably one of the biggest books from 2014, this is such a beautiful book. The story is told from the point of two different characters, Marie-Laure, a blind French girl whose father works in the Natural Museum in Paris, and Werner, a German orphan. Their stories both follow their lives throughout the Second World War, and at some point their lives intertwine with each other.

If you loved The Book Thief, you will definitely love this then. It's set in the same time period and the writing style I find reminded me a lot of that book. Apparently, the author was writing this for 10 years, and I can totally believe that because the way the book is written, each sentence feels like like so much thought has gone into it to make everything flow and engross you into the two characters worlds.

Yes Please - Amy Poehler

This 'memoir' by Amy Poehler is a really funny read. She talk about her whole life including her parents, her life at uni, her time doing improv, and then about her role in SNL. I was definitely interested in reading it after watching countless sketches of her on SNL, especially Weekend Update. 

The way the book is written really feels like she's there with you, reading it out and I would always hear her voice when I was reading it. When I'm reading an autobiography, I really like it when you can actually hear that person's voice in your head, it shows that the writing really reflects who they are. This is a super hilarious read and you will like it if you liked her friend Tina Fey's Bossypants.

What have you been reading lately and do you have any recommendations?

x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig